Penalty joy as Raphoe progress in Irish Hockey Trophy.

Thursday, 18 January 2018

Penalty joy as Raphoe progress in Irish Hockey Trophy. thumbnailThe Raphoe side who defeated North Down in the Irish Hockey Trophy.

ALAN Meehan's brace set up Raphoe for a penalty shoot-out win at North Down to progress in the Irish Hockey Trophy.

(Raphoe won 2-1 on penalties).

Raphoe started the match well having most of the procession in the first ten minutes and creating a few chances but the North Down keeper was up for the test.

Raphoe took the lead when Tommy Orr stole the ball of the North Down right back and charged at the defenders before passing to James Wilson in the 'D', who took on the keeper and drew a foul from him and won his team a penalty stroke.

Meehan expertly finished it, beating the keeper with a strong flick into the keeper's top right corner.

North Down seemed to come alive once they went a goal down and created some great chances, but Raphoe's number one Davy Moore was up for the challenge, keeping Raphoe's slender lead alive.

However North Down drew level when from a short corner they placed a powerful drag-flick down past Moore's left hand side, beating Keith Meehan on the post.

The pressure was on Raphoe for the rest of the half with North Down winning more short corners, but again Davy Moore was frustrating the North Down team. North had the ball in the net once again after a reverse stick from the top of the D, however the umpire disallowed it for a back stick.

The half ended 1-1.

The second half was a more open affair with both teams looking to take the lead. North did so after a good counter attack with their captain running the by line before picking out one of his players at the back post for a simple tap in.

North created more chances and should of been two goals clear when they where awarded a penalty stroke after Meehan stopped the ball crossing the line with his body.

The North Down striker pushed his stroke wide of the target and Raphoe had a lifeline in the match.

With less than ten minutes left in the match Raphoe drew level.

After some great work in midfield by Jordan Devenney and Keith Meehan, who worked the ball wide to Mark Rutherford.

Mark found Willie Kilpatrick in the D, and the experienced striker took his time on the ball and won Raphoe another penalty stroke. Meehan stepped up again and slotted it home, despite the keeper getting a touch on it.

There was no extra time and the match went straight to penalty runs between keepers and selected outfield players.

Tommy Orr and Jordan Devenney slotted home their efforts, while Keith Meehan, Jonny Long and Stephen Cleverly missed.

The Raphoe keeper Davy Moore really saved the day only conceding one goal out of North Down's five efforts, he stood up and forced the North Down players into mistakes meaning Raphoe progress into the next round where they travel to Newry.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete