Dergview rescue a point at home.

Thursday, 2 November 2017

DERGVIEW rescued a point at home to Larne in a Championship relegation scrap on Saturday afternoon.


With both sides languishing at the bottom of the table, Larne looked to be heading home with all three points after were leading 2-1 with five minutes to go until Garth Falconer grabbed a late equaliser.

DErgview took the lead in the 20th minute when Matty Callaghan finished off a move involving Ryan Campbell and Philip Wallace.

There were further opportunities for Dergview via Adam and Mattie Buchanan, but the lead remained at a slender 1-0 at the interval.

After the break though the visitors struck for a quick-fire double just before the hour mark, Mattie Henry applying a close-range finish before moments later Darren Stewart collected himself to beat Dergview stopper Alan Buchanan.

Larne continued with the pressure, and Buchanan denied Stewart on two occasions after Gerard Thompson blasted over the bar.

Dergview sought to compose themselves, and almost got themselves back on par only for Tommy Wray's volley to hit the post.

Larne's resistance cracked though when Campbell found Wallace who directed a low cross for Falconer to finish.

The same player almost found a winner for the hosts when Wallace again provided the ball, but the effort was directed back across the goal and wide.

The result sees Dergview remain second bottom in the table, but with only 11 points separating the leaders from the foot of the table, several wins for Richard Clarke's men could see them shoot up the standings considerably.

A stern task awaits this weekend however with an away trip to leaders Ballyclare Comrades.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete