Sweet victory for Dergview over Portadown.

Thursday, 21 September 2017

Sweet victory for Dergview over Portadown. thumbnail Duwayne McManus spreads a pass for Dergview.

DERGVIEW'S first league win of the year came in fine fashion with a 3-1 win over Portadown at Darragh Park on Saturday.


The win was Dergview's first ever competitive victory over the former Premiership giants, with goals by Adam Buchanan, Simon McGlynn and Ryan Campbell earning three much-needed points for Richard Clarke's men.

The result still leaves the Castlederg outfit residing near the bottom end of the table, but the manner of the performance will be a welcome morale boost for the upcoming games.

Niall Currie's side enjoyed the majority of possession in the first half , but the closest they came was a Stefan Lavery effort that flashed well wide.

Aaron Arkinson almost finished a sweeping move on the right at the other end, only to see his goal-bound shot blocked, but the home side got their opener five minutes before the break when Campbell's whipped low cross from the right was only partially cleared and Adam Buchanan followed up with a low drilled effort that nestled inside John Connolly's left post from 16 yards .

Dergview came out re-invigorated after the break, and they almost doubled their lead when Arkinson broke clear on the right, played the ball inside to Adam Buchanan, who in turn teed up the excellent Duwayne McManus. From eight yards out though and flush in front of goal, the midfielder somehow side footed wide.

Moments later, right-back Philip Wallace, who along with skipper Tommy Wray, Garth Falconer and Graeme Taylor, and ably supported by Matthew Buchanan, were in commanding form at the back, raided forward to usher in Campbell who cut inside and curled inches past Connolly's far post.

Campbell then had a rasping angled drive well saved by the Ports goalkeeper before the hosts grabbed their second on the hour mark.

A lay-off from Campbell opened up the Portadown defence and McGlynn charged through the middle to calmly slot the ball past the advancing Connolly.

Niall Henderson and Kyle Neill came on for the visitors, but still there was little profit against a tough Dergview defence until Wray was harshly penalised for a challenge on Chris Lavery with 18 minutes remaining.

Henderson fired the resultant spot-kick past the left hand of McCusker, who shortly afterwards had to retire from the action following an over-enthusiastic challenge by Neill, who escaped with yellow.

Thereafter the visitors lifted a gear in search of an equaliser but inevitably left gaps in their defence, and with six minutes remaining Campbell wrapped up the scoring with the hosts' third.

A swift counter attack saw sub Matty Callaghan feed McGlynn on the right, who picked out Campbell galloping through the middle. The striker took a good first touch, weighed up his options before steering the ball low inside Connolly's left upright to cap off a fine day at the office for Clarke and his players

Dergview: McCusker (Callaghan 76); Wallace; Falconer; Wray; Taylor; M Buchanan; Arkinson; A Buchanan; McManus; McGlynn; Campbell.

Subs not used: Porter; Browne; Godfrey; Maxwell.

Portadown: Connolly; Carson; Brennan; Larkin; McCallan; Kilmartin (Henderson 70); McCullough; Duffin (Neill 70); C Lavery; S Lavery; Sally (Amuneke 46).

Subs not used: Holmes; Ferris; Referee: Neil Robinson (Portadown)


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete