Second half goals see Errigal through.

Thursday, 21 September 2017

Second half goals see Errigal through. thumbnail Errigal's Peter Harte in action against Urney’s Ryan Henry.

ERRIGAL Ciaran pulled away in the second half to breeze past Urney and set up a Donnelly Vauxhall Tyrone SFC quarter-final clash with old adversaries Carrickmore.

They will meet on Sunday evening at Pomeroy in what promises to be an absorbing encounter, as two famous clubs bid to return to the top of the pile in the Red Hand county.

Second half goals from Davy Harte and Peter Og McCartan made it a straightforward passage for the men from Dunmoyle, but they had to be patient in order to break down a determined and resilent St Columba's side.

Errigal were just two points ahead at the break, but were able to create more space once they forced their opponents to chase the game.

For Urney, it's a matter of regrouping and switching their focus towards a crucial Division One relegation play-off against neighbours Strabane.

Urney, often with 13 men behind the ball, resisted a few early attacks, and went ahead through skipper Fergal McNulty in the second minute.

Peter Harte levelled from a free, and Pauric McAnenly gave Errigal the lead for the first time in the ninth minute.

They did manage to find an opening ina well organised Urney defence soon afterwards when Peter Harte sent Mark Kavanagh in, but Keith Nelis responded with a brilliant save, pushing the ball around a post.

Harte converted the resultant '45 to open up a two points lead, but they were soon on the back foot again, as Urney rallied, holding possession and adopting a patient build-up.

Christopher Bogle reduced the deficit with a fine score from wide on the right, before Peter Harte and Plunkett Langan swapped frees.

But Errigal Ciaran pushed forward just before the break, with McAnenly hitting the target again to send the men from Dunmoyle in with a 0-5 to 0-3 interval lead.

And they got off to the perfect start in the second half, with a goal inside the opening minute. Aidan McCrory and Stephen McCrory combined, before Peter Harte sent Davy Harte through to smash his shot past Keith Nelis.

Now the game inevitably opened up, with Urney forced to go in search of scores, but that gave Errigal the opportunity to exploit gaps at the back and they added points from Davy and Peter Harte.

They were eight clear by the end of the opening quarter, but Urney rallied, hitting long range scores through Marty Owens, Fergal McNulty and substitute Stephen Lafferty.

But Errigal Ciaran sealed the win with a second goal in stoppage time, Mark Kavanagh making a penetrating run through the middle to send teenager Peter Og McCartan for a confident finish.

"It was typical Tyrone football and we have had a lot of so-called shocks, and the first round of the Tyrone championship is all about winning and getting over it," said Errigal selector Joe Canavan.

"We would be disappointed with how we played, especially the first half. It was difficult, we were probably a bit laboured on the ball, we were slow getting it forward, didn't have the support. So we were disappointed with how we played, but we knew how they would set up, we knew they would make it very difficult, we expected nothing less from them." Canavan insisted that his side respected Urney and were ready for a solid challenge from the relegationthreatened St Columba's.

"They have a good pedigree in championship football, so it was a typical Tyrone championship game, so I suppose there was no real shocks in it." It was Errigal's to lose after Davy Harte smashed home a goal just seconds after the restart, with just two points between the sides at the tur naround.

"The game opened up when Davy got the goal. You could see that they dropped their heads a wee bit, and there was more space inside for the forwards to play.

"They also pushed out a wee bit, they seemed to come out a bit more, and we had a lot more gaps inside.

"And I suppose a few of the changes we made put legs in it also, and we got space that we didn't get in the first half for runners to go in to and get the attacks going." But Urney never gave up, and hit some spectacular scores in the final quarter.

"Some of the scores they hit were exceptional, they hit a couple of points from 40 yards. There was very little we could do about that. I thought defensively we played very well, we were pushing them back, we were pushing them wide.

"We would be happy enough with where they were shooting from, they weren't getting inside or they weren't getting through us." Errigal Ciaran scorers: Davy Harte 1-3 (0-2 frees), Peter Og Mc-Cartan 1-0, Peter Harte 0-5 (3 frees, 2 '45s), Pauric McAnenly 0-2, Mark Kavanagh 0-1.

Urney scorers: Fergal McNulty 0-3. Marty Owens, Christophr Bogle, Aidan Lynch (free), Stephen Lafferty 0-1 each.

Errigal Ciaran: Ronan McAnenly; Niall Kelly, Aidan Mc-Crory, Ciaran Quinn; Mark Kavanagh, Michael McRory, Damien McDermott; Ben McDonnell, Bryan Horisk; Pauric McAnenly, Peter Harte, Eoin Harte; Declan Quinn, Davy Harte, Padraig McGirr.

Subs: Ryan Lynch for McGirr, Stephen McRory for McDermott, Peter Og McCartan for P McAnenly, Tommy Canavan for D Quinn, Aaron McKenna for McDonnell.

Urney: Keith Nelis; Paul Logue, Colin Campbell, James Kelly; Adrian Maxwell, Liam Convie, Marty Owens; Fergal McNulty, Ryan Henry; Brian Kelly, Christopher Bogle, Shane Coyle,; Daryl Maxwell, Plunkett Lagan, Aidan Lynch.

Subs: Darren Gillespie for Coyle, Stephen Lafferty for Maxwell, Shane McCarney for Kelly.

Referee: Shane Dorrity (Coalisland).


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete