Man tied up and tortured in 'terrifying' attack

Thursday, 22 February 2018

Man tied up and tortured in 'terrifying' attack thumbnailSome of the facial injuries Mickey Diver sustained during a ‘terrifying’ attack at his home at the weekend.

THE PSNI in Strabane have repeated their call for any information that could help them piece together the events that saw a 47-year-old local man attacked and robbed in his home at the weekend.

They have already arrested and charged one person in relation to the incident but need the public's assistance to help them complete their investigations.

Michael (Mickey) Diver, was the victim of a cowardly premeditated attack in his Springhill Park home which police have described as "a very serious incident".

Mr Diver, who lives on his own, was set upon sometime between 10pm on Saturday, February 17, and 1am on Sunday, February 18. He was attacked, injured and tortured by what is believed were two men with local knowledge of both the area and the injured party.

He received several injuries including blows to the head which resulted in deep cuts and scars and a cut to his wrist. They also tied him to a chair in his bedroom and attempted to set fire to the bottom of his tracksuit.

Several pieces of his furniture were also damaged in the attack. He said they set fire to pictures on his wall, burned part of his couch and damaged several items in his bathroom.


Mr Diver described his ordeal as 'terrifying' and said he feared for his life while they were hitting him and setting fire to his clothes. He said they also stole his mobile phone so he was unable to get in touch with anyone.

The injured party said he was tied up for two hours and in extreme pain as the cord they used was cutting into his skin. The experience was made all the more life-threatening by the fact Mr Diver is in constant ill health and needs a walking aid to move around.

"I don't know why they attacked me. I think they wanted to burn my house down. I was terrified when they started to burn my tracksuit and hit my head. I couldn't get away. I was burned and bleeding. I don't know if I want to live here any more," he said.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete