News

Incident prompts renewed calls for installation of CCTV

Thursday, 21 December 2017

Incident prompts renewed calls for installation of CCTV thumbnailConall Harley, left, Plumbridge and Dean Crawford, Gortin who were the victims of a gang attack in Strabane at the weekend.

A SERIOUS assault on two young men in Strabane at the weekend has prompted renewed calls for the installation of CCTV in the town.

The two teenage friends were set upon by a group of men in the early hours of Sunday morning in an unprovoked attack which left them both with serious facial injuries.

The two men, from Gortin and Plumbridge, had been enjoying their first night out in the town with other friends when their assailants struck.

The attack has been widely condemned across the community. Independent councillor, Patsy Kelly, said he was horrified to learn of the assault.

He said that serious consideration must now be given to installing closed-circuit television cameras on local streets.

"This was a horrific attack and my thoughts are with the victims who I hope will make a speedy recovery.

"I am now calling on police to get behind and support the need for CCTV in Strabane.

"All major provincial towns have it so why not Strabane. If we had CCTV cameras it would help police to identify those who assaulted these two young individuals as well as any other assaults.

"CCTV would help police do their job and catch those who are going out to disrupt our night-time economy and seriously assaulting individuals."

 

Also condemning the incident was Sinn Fein's Michaela Boyle who said she had spoken to the mother of one of the victims of what she described as a "cowardly" attack.

"I am appalled at this unprovoked and cowardly attack on this group of friends from the Cranagh, Plumbridge and Gortin areas by these assailants who, I understand, had been earlier put out of licenced premises in the town.

 "If anyone has information about this frenzied attack they should bring it forward and hopefully the the assailants will be able to be identified through CCTV.

 "This is important to ensure that people can feel confident in being able to socialise in the town without the fear of something like this happening.

 "I wish the two young lads a speedy recovery from the serious injuries they have suffered and a sentiment which will be shared by people of the town who will be equally disgusted with what has happened," the local MLA said.

Echoing those sentinments, SDLP MLA., Daniel McCrossan, said the perpetrators must be brought to justice and a clear message sent out that there is "zero tolerance" for violence in the town.

Mr McCrossan, who also spoke with the distraught mother, described the assault as "brutal, horrific and unprovoked".

He continued: "I totally condemn this attack and the gangs who think they can commit such with little to no consequence. These attackers need to be brought to justice and made an example of to ensure that everyone knows that there is a zero tolerance for violence in this town.

"I would appeal to anyone with any information to get in contact with the PSNI immediately to assist them with their investigation, even if this is done anonymously.

 

"There must be a clear message put out that violence of the nature has no place on our streets and that no young person should be subjected to such brutality. We could genuinely be commenting on fatalities today which proves there's a great need to stub out this sort of behaviour."

 

Police say they are continuing to investigate the assault and have appealed for witnesses to contact them on the 101 non-emergency number.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete