News

Searches continue for missing Jack

Thursday, 16 February 2017

Searches continue for missing Jack thumbnailJack Glenn.

SEARCHES to recover the body of Jack Glenn are expected to resume this morning (Wednesday).

The 23-year-old Artigarvan man went into the River Foyle two weeks ago. Since then, hundreds of volunteers from near and far have joined with his family and friends day and night in riverside searches.

Rescue teams and kayakers have also been out on the river in the hope of recovering the tragic young man's body.

Searches have been concentrated on the stretch of water between the Peace Bridge and Foyle Bridge and at Culmore Point but to date, the young man's remains have not been recovered.

The family of the talented and much-loved sportsman have also been keeping a vigil by the river and daily prayers have been held.

His distraught parents, Hester and Colin, sister Katie and grandparents, have said they are deeply touched by the overwhelming public support as searches for young man's body continues.

They have expressed their gratitude to the hundreds - mostly strangers - who have joined them daily in the bid to find his remains and are urging volunteers to continue with the searches.

At the time of going to press yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) the searches for Jack were continuing.

 

Specialist team

A specialist team of divers - Boyne Fishermans Rescue and Recover - who assisted in the searches for Strabane man, Sean 'Smurf' Diver', have also joined the search operation.

The searches of the Foyle are being co-ordinated by Foyle Search and Rescue (FSAR) who are being assisted by various other agencies including the local Mourne River Search and Rescue (MRSAR) team.

A spokesperson for MRSAR said: "It is really encouraging to see the vast numbers of people who are continuing to give up their spare time to come out and support the Glenn family in the search to bring Jack home. The family really appreciate your efforts.

"This week, members of MRSAR including our boat crews and together with our colleagues from FSAR and the various other agencies involved in the search for Jack will continue in our efforts to assist the Glenn family to bring their loved one home.

"If anyone has a spare hour this week to help out with the searches it would be gratefully appreciated but please think of your safety first. Do not search alone or take unnecessary risks. Carry a mobile phone and make sure it is charged before leaving for the search. Wear something Hi-Vis to make you easy to spot in case you do get into trouble."

A Twitter hashtag #GetJackBack and a Facebook page has been set up for those who wish to support the family and gives regular updates useful to those helping out with searches.

Meanwhile, a Justgiving page has also been set-up to support the Glenn family and help with the costs of the search. It has raised thousands of pounds.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete